The Spartanburg County Foundation seeks Development Officer
Posted on September 1st, 2017
Position Title: Development Officer
Reports to: Executive Management Team
The primary focus of the Development Officer is to position the Foundation as a charitable option for individuals, charitable organizations and corporations by providing philanthropic counsel to existing and potential donors and developing relationships with professional advisors and their clients. This individual will develop and grow the Foundation’s asset development program, including prospect identification and research, donor cultivation and stewardship, and various development initiatives as assigned.
The Development Officer has an understanding of the Foundation’s programmatic focus and familiarity with the charitable sector in the Foundation’s service area. This position provides leadership in connecting fundholders with community opportunities and initiatives as per the Foundation’s mission and strategic plan.
The Development Officer is a Team Leader and works with the President & CEO, Chief Operating Officer, other Team Leaders and staff to carry out the mission, vision and strategies of the Foundation.
Listed below are major duties and responsibilities of this position. It is not designed or intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties, or responsibilities of the employee.
- Work with the Executive Management Team to establish departmental goals and objectives and to set the strategic direction for asset development and professional advisor relationships.
- Present annually to the Philanthropic Services Committee an asset development plan for increasing the Foundation’s charitable assets in conjunction with the Foundation’s annual and strategic plans.
- Provide leadership, coordination and staffing for the Professional Advisory Committee.
- Develop and manage a program of ongoing education and cultivation of professional advisors (i.e. attorneys, trust officers, estate planners, accountants, insurance agents) to keep them informed of the benefits available to their clients through the Foundation.
- Provide counsel to current and prospective donors to clarify their philanthropic goals and develop giving plans to achieve them.
- Maintain positive relationships with assigned existing fundholders.
- Work with individual prospects to establish new funds at the Foundation, with emphasis on raising new endowments and planned gifts.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of prospect/donor cultivation and recognition events.
- Participate as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Provide training of other development staff. Work with all development staff to achieve the Foundation’s annual and strategic plan goals.
- Develop and manage a systematic prospect research program to identify prospective donors and key financial and legal advisors.
- Develop and coordinate cultivation and solicitation plans (using the President & CEO and Trustees, as well as other volunteers) for each prospective donor.
- Supervise the maintenance of current donor files and prospect and donor tracking information on the Foundation’s database.
- Develop and manage Donor Services programs and administrative staff support for the Foundation’s donors and select advisory committees.
- Provide professional support to the endowment efforts of charitable organizations served by the Foundation.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base of current trends and activities within the community that relates to the nonprofit sector and the community at-large.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base of the basic mechanisms (and associated tax benefits) by which donors may contribute to the Foundation and keep abreast of significant legislative and regulatory changes that affect charitable giving.
- Four year college or university degree.
- Previous development experience with thorough understanding of planned giving required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Experience with Access is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and critical thinking skills.
- Organizational, time management, leadership and development skills.
- Experience and comfort in working with individuals of diverse views and backgrounds.
- Consistent demonstration of integrity, tact, and analytical reasoning, problem-solving, and positive interpersonal skills. Requires an ability to manage people and processes.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Knowledge of prospect research experience and planned giving techniques.
- An ongoing commitment to training in both areas of soft skills and technical skills to maintain current skills and knowledge.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding all Foundation matters.
No phone calls please.
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Chief Operating Officer
424 East Kennedy Street
Spartanburg, SC 29302
Deprecated: Function previous_post is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Use previous_post_link() instead. in /home/dh_se6366/scgrantmakers.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5453
Deprecated: Function next_post is deprecated since version 2.0.0! Use next_post_link() instead. in /home/dh_se6366/scgrantmakers.com/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5453