Notice of Opportunity: J. Marion Sims Foundation
Posted on July 20th, 2017
The J. Marion Sims Foundation seeks an experienced professional to fill the NEW position of Community Engagement Director.
Interested candidates for the Community Engagement Director position should submit a letter of application indicating why they are applying for the position, including how their skills, experience, and desire to enhance the Foundation’s footprint make them a fit for the position. The candidate’s letter should include answers to the following questions:
1) The Foundation is currently engaged in several organizational partnerships to enhance resident engagement and community revitalization within the region. Describe your experience working with multi-sector partnerships at a regional or national level and describe your results and lessons learned.
2) Resident participation in decision-making is a bedrock principle of democracy. Describe your philosophy and personal approach to authentic community engagement. Include an example (if possible) of a time your approach did not work, and how you adjusted your strategy to achieve successful participation.
Letter of application (no more than 4 pages) should be submitted, along with the candidate’s current resume, salary requirements, and three references familiar with the candidate’s community engagement work to the Foundation by July 31, 2017 at 5pm.
Deliver or mail complete application to:
J Marion Sims Foundation
800 N. White Street
Lancaster, SC 29720
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Engagement Director
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, this position will guide and direct Foundation activities designed to continually strengthen the region through collaboration, healthy community coalition-building, and community resident engagement. Position will serve as the lead in the strategic partnership with the Orton Family Foundation Community Heart & Soul® implementation, and will be responsible for other systems supporting community development. Position will serve as a regional support and resource person for community revitalization efforts and multi-sector collaborative partnerships designed to build and sustain a healthy community.
1. Serves as Foundation lead on the Community Heart & Soul initiative.
2. Supports and/orss convenes community collaborations designed to revitalize the region, bringing public and private assets and organizations together for strategic planning purposes.
3. Builds the Foundation’s community development infrastructure, including the design of technical assistance/consulting function and the development of funding partnerships to support public/private, community improvement initiatives and projects.
4. Develops and shares federal, national, regional, state level funding and technical assistance opportunities for revitalization collaborations. Responsible for bringing regional and national experts into our community for education and training purposes.
5. With staff, develops robust training and communication to share best practices across the state and nation related to revitalization and economic development through public private partnerships.
6. Serves on the Foundation’s internal grant evaluation team.
7. With staff, responsible for design of community indicators dashboard, evaluation, and tracking system for all grantees and Foundation activities.
8. Other programs and initiatives as determined to meet board vision.
Recommended Education and Experience
Bachelors Degree with concentration in economic development, community development, planning, other social sciences. Masters’ degree desirable. A minimum of five years’ research, analysis, reporting, and continuous program improvement experience within a strategic community planning or community health framework is required. Experience working with a variety of regional and national partners is required. Experience in building coalitions, community partnerships, facilitating education and learning networks. Excellent writing, presentation, training, and communication skills. Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced team environment, and the ability to manage multiple priorities are a must. Experience in public and private sector employment with progressive responsibility is desirable. Microsoft office proficiency. Travel, some overnight, will be required.
Commensurate with experience.